Mon - Fri 8:15 am
Tues. 6:30 am
In the event that school is
cancelled due to weather,
we will not have Daily Mass.
Sat. 4:30 pm
8:00 am, 9:30 am & 11:00 am
Mondays: 7:00 am – 8:00 am
Saturdays: 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm or by appointment.
(Every Wed eve 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. during Lent only.)
Sacred Heart Ministry Catalog
Domestic Church Brochure
February 2012 Grateful Heart
March 2012 Grateful Heart
April 2012 Grateful Heart
May 2012 Grateful Heart
September 2012 Grateful Heart
October 2012 Grateful Heart
November 2012 Grateful Heart
December 2012 Grateful Heart
Our parish had a humble beginning. During the Civil War era, Catholic families settled near Bonner Springs: to the east in the Edwardsville vicinity, to the northwest from the present city, and to the south across the Kaw River in Johnson County, which came to be known as Wilder. Farming attracted these families to the rich and productive soil, as did the Santa Fe Railroad.
The nearest Catholic churches were at Horanif, Eudora, Shawnee, and Olathe. Catholics drove their teams and wagons over rocky roads to attend Mass when weather permitted. During these early years, priests from Shawnee, Olathe, and Eudora came by horseback or train to Wilder. There they offered Holy Mass once a month in the homes of the faithful.
Fr. Michael Simmer of Holy Family, Eudora, who attended to the spiritual needs of the people at Wilder, proposed that a church building be erected in Bonner Springs, a mile north across the Kaw River. In May 1900 Fr. Simmer and Fr. Goldman of Horanif, whose parish included Bonner Springs, began to visit Catholic families in and around Bonner Springs to solicit funds for a Catholic church. The Christian church, planning to construct a new edifice, offered their building and grounds to the Catholics for $700.00. The Most Rev. Louis Fink, O.S.B., Bishop of Leavenworth Diocese, gave his approval, and the Christian church was purchased on May 22, 1900.
The building was renovated and dedicated August 8, 1900. The new parish in Bonner Springs was a mission to Eudora with Fr. Simmer in charge. The Catholic people of Sacred Heart parish were grateful to God for a church where they could come together for services, but they wanted a resident priest. In November 1914, Bishop John Ward appointed Fr. Joseph Jacobs as the first resident priest. A small house next to the church was purchased for $750.00.
In September 1919, Fr. Jacobs acquired more ground. A new church, built of stone and brick, was constructed in September 1921. The original church building was moved to the rear of the parish property and later converted into a parish hall. The total cost of the new church and fixtures was $24,440.49.
After nearly twenty years of faithful and zealous service in the parish, Fr. Joseph Jacobs was succeeded by Fr. Leavite Jacobs, who remained at Sacred Heart until September 1935. Fr. Joseph McManus became the third pastor of Sacred Heart Parish and ministered to the growing community until August 1955.
Fr. Michael Moriarty succeeded Fr. McManus. Fr. Moriarty’s first concern was to build a parochial school. With the approval of Archbishop Edward J. Hunkeler, Fr. Moriarty and the members of the parish launched a capital fund drive. Within months, construction of the school began. The school was dedicated on September 14, 1958. But within two years, parish growth indicated need for additional classrooms and a gymnasium. Construction began in the spring of 1960 and the new addition was completed in March 1961.
Fr. John Yadrich succeeded Fr. Moriarty in July 1964. During his time at Sacred Heart, the interior of the church was remodeled to bring it more in line with Vatican II requirements.
In August 1969 Fr. Stanley Loncaric succeeded Fr. Yadrich. Fr. Loncaric remained at Sacred Heart until July 1978. Fr. John Harrington, who remained at Sacred Heart for two years, succeeded Fr. Loncaric.
In July 1980 Fr. Raymond Davern and Fr. Dennis Wait were appointed co-pastors at Sacred Heart. Again the parish was in need of additional classrooms. A mobile unit, providing two additional classrooms, was purchased and place on church property across the street from the original school building.
In July 1981 Fr. Charles Brink came to Sacred Heart Parish. The house next to the rectory was acquired and this property was developed into a playground and parking lot. In 1993, a second mobile unit, providing two additional classrooms, was purchased and situated just north of the original school building.
Although in declining health, Fr. Brink continued as pastor at Sacred Heart until his death on December 3, 1994. At that time, Fr. Leo Cooper was appointed administrator of the parish. In July 1995, Fr. Patrick Jerome was appointed administrator of Sacred Heart and a few months later was appointed pastor.
On June 30, 1996, the beloved church in Bonner Springs was destroyed by arson and had to be demolished. But the people of the quiet little parish did not crumble with the building. Adopting the slogan “we will rebuild”, they began to move ahead. A period of temporary “exile” followed, with daily Mass at the rectory or school gym and weekend Mass at Savior of the World Pastoral Center.
Rebuilding required funds. The first fundraiser after the fire was held on November 23, 1996 at the Embassy Suites. Meetings were held, tears were shed, and prayers were said. Together our spiritual family made the necessary plans to relocate and rebuild.
The new church began with the decision to relocate to the corner of Monticello Rd and Johnson Drive. A capital campaign in 1998 enabled the building of a twelve room school with a multi-purpose center to accommodate weekend Masses. Groundbreaking at the new location was held on October 1, 1999. Dedication for the new school and worship center was held on October 15, 2000.
The faith community of Sacred Heart, united in prayer and sacrifice, had a gathering place again. Although the location back across the Kaw River was new to most, in reality the church had simply returned to the area where it had begun some 100 years ago.
Our history repeatedly evidences the ongoing commitment of this parish. Continuous challenges have been met over the past one hundred years. From the outset, building campaigns were completed in record time, beginning with those first priests on horseback securing funds for the original church, to the present replacing the burnt-out church in Bonner Springs.
Sacred Heart is a rapidly growing parish. Before the destruction of the church in Bonner Springs, the community included 326 families. Now over 1,700 families are registered. Fr. Craig Maxim became pastor in January, 2001 and immediately recognized the work to be done, the plans to be made, and the money to be raised for the church the people of Sacred Heart so desperately missed.
Fr. Craig initiated a capital campaign in 2002 to build a permanent worship space and a two story addition to the school. Over $4 million was raised. In August 2004, the Archdiocese approved plans to build the church, but an additional $1.43 million in funding was required before the school addition could begin. Those pledges were raised by November 2004.
Groundbreaking for the church was held on June 28, 2004. Archbishop Keleher presided over the ceremony. Groundbreaking for the two-story school addition was held on April 25, 2005. Archbishop Naumann presided; school children were invited to bring along their own shovels to assist in the groundbreaking for the event! The anticipated opening date for the school addition was April 2006.
The church was dedicated on November 20, 2005. Items salvaged from the church in Bonner Springs were incorporated into the new church building. The Rose Window, the bell, the baptistery lights, stained glass windows in the Adoration & Reconciliation Chapels, four marble and brass candlesticks, and the Infant of Prague were all restored and placed in the church.
Stained glass windows, depicting each of the 12 apostles, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, Mother Teresa and St. Michael the Archangel, all which were generously donated by faithful parishioners, surround our worship space.
Our campus is not complete. Future plans call for a parish hall, kitchen and additional meeting rooms in the church’s lower level, additional classroom space and youth facilities in the school addition’s lower level and an additional school addition, full size gymnasium, increased parking spaces and fields to surround our property. Before we can move forward, our church and school debt must be paid. We currently owe $7 million. However, “surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses” (Hebrews 12:1) who have preceded us, Sacred Heart Parish journeys forth “looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2). As today we celebrate our rich history, we remain dedicated to our Lord Jesus Christ, who both sustains us and calls us onward to even greater faith and service.